What to consider before going into aged care


Q. As an age pensioner, what factors should I consider if I'm preparing to enter into aged care in the near future?

A. The Australian government subsidises the bulk of aged care services but you may be asked to contribute if the means test or income test assesses you as being able to do so.

The home support programme (from July 1, 2015) provides entry-level help for older people who need assistance with daily living in order to keep living independently.


Carers will also benefit from the program.

Home care packages support people to live in their own home. The basic daily fee is equivalent to 17.5% of the single basic age pension.

Someone with an income greater than the maximum income of a full age pensioner may also be asked to pay an income-tested fee. Residential care is accommodation and support for people who can no longer live at home.

The maximum basic daily fee is 85% of the single basic age pension.

A means test will determine if you are eligible for government assistance with your accommodation and a contribution, if any, to care costs.

Visit or phone 1800 200 422. For information on income assessments, phone 1800 227 475.


Why should I see a financial planner?
August 24, 2016 10.20am

[…] straight from hospital on many occasions - after an unexpected fall or rapid decline in health. Aged care costs and choices can be confusing and overwhelming. Do we sell the home? Do we keep the home and rent it […]

Post a comment
Link to something 6FG79NLM