Five things to do in Mykonos
If you're heading to Mykonos any time soon, here is a list of five things to do.
1. Shopping in Chora, Mykonos town: Explore boutique shopping along the labyrinth of narrow, white stone streets and discover the White Shop, trading since 1963 in fine handmade embroidered shirts, tablecloths and handkerchiefs. It's a little pricey but unique. Around the corner the Rarity Gallery showcasing exhibitions of contemporary art from a cosmopolitan collection of artists. www.rarity gallery.com.
2. Fine dining: Further along the flagtone streets you'll find the Nautilus Restaurant. It's a popular, intimate little space with great contemporary Greek food. You will need to book nautilus-mykonos.gr
3. Culture and history: Mykonos Archaeological Museum on the promenade houses a unique collection of beautiful Cycladic vases ranging from the 6th century BC. Other treasures include a large vase with scenes from the fall of Troy. Catch the 10am ferry from Mykonos port over to the sacred Island of Delos and explore the most important archaeological site in Greece, the mythological birthplace to the twin gods Apollo and Artemis. Beautiful temple ruins, sculptures, artefacts and mosaics. 18 euro return.
4. Lunch and swim: Drive to Kiki's Taverna at Agios Sostis Beach and sit under the canopy of a 50-year-old mimosa tree and dine on giant char-grilled pork chops, chicken and prawns with a selection of delicious salads. Arrive early otherwise there's a wait but chilled rose is complimentary for those queuing for a table. After lunch stroll down the hill and plunge into the Aegean. No bookings.
5. Nightlife, Montparnasse: The Piano Bar, Little Venice, is a cosy little piano bar with the best sunset view of moored yachts and the landmark windmills. If the night is still young wander up the hill to Elysium Gay Hotel overlooking the harbour for a nightcap and watch the spectacular drag show.
Ann Loveday, Art director