How to qualify for carer payments as grandparents


Published on

Grandparents or any relatives who have primary responsibility for caring for a child may be up for help from the Family Assistance Office, including Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit or the Child Care Rebate.

Grandparent Child Care Benefit is available to grandparents who are caring for their grandchild and are in receipt of an income support payment and helps with the cost of sending the child to approved or registered childcare.

It covers full childcare costs for up to 50 hours per child per week.

income stream

Family Tax Benefit (or FTB) Part A is assessed on families' combined income or paid per child. FTB Part B is extra assistance for families with one main income, such as single parents.

There's an income test.

You can choose to receive payments fortnightly or as a lump sum at the end of the financial year.

Plus, under FTB those with a Pensioner Concession Card can receive some benefits.

For more info, call the Grandparent Adviser number on 1800 245 965 or see

Get stories like this in our newsletters.

Related Stories


Richard Scott is an English freelance writer based in Queensland. A former sports reporter for The Times in London, he has written for Australian Geographic, Australian FourFourTwo, Virgin Australia Voyeur, The Courier Mail, Junkee, AWOL, FHM and Cleo in Australia.