MY MONEY

Spend, save, give: three charities to help you get started

By

"If you're in the luckiest 1% of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99%," says American billionaire and philanthropist, Warren Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Here are three charities for you to consider.

UnitingCare and Target Christmas appeal

charity charities

What is it?

Once known as Operation Santa, the appeal helps needy families celebrate Christmas.

Target stores around Australia will accept unwrapped gifts and cash, in the hope that all children will be able to enjoy the festive season. For every Christmas bauble purchased, Target will donate $1 to the appeal.

Where your money goes

Now in its 24th year, the appeal wants to raise $1 million.

There are about one in six children living in poverty, and last year the appeal helped over 42,000 families put food on the table and find temporary accommodation at Christmas. All gifts are distributed by UnitingCare staff and volunteers.

How to donate

Unwrapped gifts and spare change will be accepted over the front counter at all Target stores from November 3 to December 24. Or see uniting carechristmasappeal.org.au

The Kids' Cancer Project

What is it?

Australia has one of the highest incidences of childhood cancer in the world - every year 600 children are diagnosed with it.

The Kids' Cancer Project is a non-institutional charity that currently funds 13 research programs from eight of the most prestigious medical research organisations.

Where your money goes

It helps fund world-leading medical research into childhood cancer.

To date, the project's funding has led to a new treatment for children with brain tumours as well as a new drug that forces cancer cells to kill themselves without damaging healthy cells. You can read more about these important breakthroughs on the Kids' Cancer Project website.

How to donate

You can help in a number of ways. Visit thekidscancerproject.org.au or call 1300 655 041. You can also donate a bear to a sick child in hospital or buy a bear for yourself. All proceeds go towards childhood cancer medical research.

Everyday Hero

What is it?

Want to make a difference and show support for a charity that is close to your heart but not sure where to start?

Try Everyday Hero. Since 2007 it has helped people raise over $100 million online for their favourite not-for-profit organisations in Australia, New Zealand, Britain and Singapore.

Where your money goes

Just choose from one of more than 1200 charities and build an online supporter page.

You can then start using it to inspire others with a story about why you are supporting your charity or cause, post updates, images and videos, tell your social networks and ask others to help you make a real difference.

The money you raise then goes to your nominated charity.

How to donate

Take the first step to becoming an Everyday Hero by visiting everydayhero.com.au.

If you need assistance with your fundraising page, phone 1300 798 768 or email info@everydayhero.com.au.

RELATED STORIES

Steph Nash was a staff writer at Money until 2017.
Post a comment
Link to something lP25yOFm