'Drug-test our pollies': Australia responds to the Budget
Treasurer Scott Morrison had barely opened his mouth to deliver the 2017 Budget speech when Australia's preoccupation with the economy's night of nights exploded on social media.
- counter hoon (@wokestbloke) May 9, 2017
According to Twitter, the Treasurer has morphed convincingly into fictional political villain President Frank Underwood, and if you look under the bonnet of the Liberal Party you will find the ALP.
- Tim Mackay 🎓💲 (@timqfadvice) May 9, 2017
#Budget2017 in a nutshell: Having doubled debt in 4 years, the nutjobs put on an ALP hoodie & hope no-one notices they remain mean and nasty
- Mr Denmore (@MrDenmore) May 9, 2017
And of course, it's all fun and games ... and politics.
Budget time is always an important reminder that for a lot of people, politics is just a team sport.
- Josh Taylor (@joshgnosis) May 9, 2017
Others took to Twitter to point out the glaring omissions from this year's Budget.
- Richard Di Natale (@RichardDiNatale) May 9, 2017
- Van Badham (@vanbadham) May 9, 2017
- Daniel Andrews (@DanielAndrewsMP) May 9, 2017
#Budget2017 silent on Aboriginal women. More investment into Aboriginal orgs needed to prevent family violence & build stronger communities
- National FVPLS Forum (@NationalFVPLS) May 9, 2017
The raft of welfare reforms was under fire, with many Australians calling for the same thing: random drug testing of politicians and CEOs.
The overwhelming Twitter response to the plan to drug test welfare recipients: drug test politicians and their staff too #budget2017
- Josh Butler (@JoshButler) May 9, 2017
- Jenko (@7_jenkinson) May 9, 2017
- James Parkley (@jnarls) May 9, 2017
Some reflected on the "better days" Morrison promised just hours before unveiling the Budget.
"Better days ahead"* - #Budget2017
*Promise does not apply to
Migrants Indigenous Women escaping DV Unemployed Students Poor Disabled
- Kon Karapanagiotidis (@Kon__K) May 9, 2017
But, to be fair, some people thought the Budget was just that. Like this guy.
I consider myself a centrist. 53yo fisc conserv, social progrsv, will be self-funded but want safety net 4 others. I find #Budget2017 fair.
- Patrick Turner (@pjxturner) May 9, 2017