Eight things you should do if you want to sell your home
It's important your home stands out from the competition, so don't underestimate how important it is to present it in the best possible light.
Presenting your property properly will not only improve your chances of it selling faster but also of getting a better price.
It's a good idea to get an objective opinion about what needs to be done.
Your real estate agent is probably the best person to give you tips because they know what other properties are available in the market and what buyers are looking for.
It might be hard but try not to take any feedback personally - after all, you both share the same goal to maximise the sale price.
The good news is it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
Here are a few tips for presenting your home and getting it ready to sell:
1. First impressions count, so make sure you tidy up the front garden, replace any old pots, cut any overhanging branches, etc.
2. Clean the outside of your home including scrubbing bricks and windows.
3. Declutter. Throw away as much as possible but if there are items you just can't part with, ask a friend or family member to store them for you or rent a storage unit.
4. If it's been a while, give the house a new lick of paint but use neutral colours. If you don't think it needs a paint job, even cleaning the walls with sugar soap can improve the look.
5. If you have carpets, consider getting them professionally steam-cleaned so they look better.
6. Fix any obvious problems such as a leaking tap, loose tiles or a crack in the wall. Prospective buyers may think these signal bigger problems.
7. If fixtures and fittings are looking a little worse for wear, consider what you can do to spruce them up. This might be as simple as replacing door handles or getting new tapware.
8. Plan the space. Lay the furniture out to maximise the size of the rooms, for example. This is something a professional stylist may be able to help with.
Get stories like this in our newsletters.